Taco’s are such a fun dish to serve and with this homemade taco seasoning, you really don’t miss the beef or cheese in this one!
Prepackaged taco seasoning almost always has MSG in it. If it doesn’t, then it’s probably got way too much salt or sugar in it. So why not make your own?! Most of these spices in our cabinets already, and it’s really simple to make.
I love making these with my favorite Roasted Salsa recipe. I also use it in other recipes, like my favorite black bean dip, which also goes well with this meal. If you’re short on time, you could always use your favorite store brand. I do enjoy Hannaford’s organic medium salsa, but I usually add a little chopped fresh cilantro to it to dress it up a bit.
Whenever I make my salsa or taco seasoning, I make a lot of it, so that I can vacuum seal the salsa and stock my freezer, one bag neatly placed on top of the other. Just write on them with a sharpie and don’t forget to write the date so that you can keep track of what you need to eat first!
If you absolutely need cheese on these tacos, then try goat feta, but use it sparingly. That way you feel like you indulged without going overboard. Goat cheese is easier to digest.
The taco seasoning recipe came from www.allrecipes.com
Taco Meat & Other Fillings:
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon cold pressed olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 – 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning (below, season to your taste)
- 2/3 cup filtered water
- 1 head of boston lettuce or romaine, chopped in thin slices (I’ve even used arugula and loved them)
- 1 cups of salsa (use your favorite or else try this delicious Roasted Salsa recipe!)
- taco shells (use organic always with corn to avoid GMO’s. I like Garden Of Eatin’ brand)
Taco seasoning: (Adapted from Allrecipes.com)
- 4 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or 1/4 teaspoon chipotle (skip this if you don’t like spice)
- 6 teaspoon cumin
- 3 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoon of brown rice flour
- a pinch of unsweetened cocoa powder (traditional to mexico to enhance flavor but you won’t taste it)
(Makes about 4 servings worth of seasoning for 3 future meals. Feel free to double or triple if you love it!)
Optional add ins:
- black olives
- chopped tomato
- my favorite black bean dip
The taco seasoning makes an ounce of seasoning which can be used time and time again. In a pinch you could use Simply Organic’s Spicy Taco seasoning but they do use a lot of salt and dextrose which isn’t the healthies. It is the best pre-made, MSG free version I have ever found. Just say “NO” to MSG! It’s terrible for your health.
- Chop your onion and make your taco seasoning by adding all ingredients to a small bowl and mixing together completely.
- In a large skillet, heat your oil and then add your onion.
- Sauté onion until slightly softened (about 5 minutes).
- Next, add your ground turkey to the large skillet. Sauté until fully cooked.
- Prep your lettuce, salsa and any other toppings for your tacos while the turkey is cooking.
- Add only 2 or 3 tablespoons of your taco seasoning and a 3/4 cup of water and mix until fully coated and the sauce thickens.
- Toast your taco shells in the oven until hot and then serve!