This creamy soup is mildly spicy with a sweet & smokey flavor.
Sweet potatoes are a great source of vitamins C and A as well as fiber and potassium.
Prepare in 10 minutes and eat in a couple hours!
I found this recipe to be a really nice take on sweet potato soup since often times I find them to be way too sweet. I don’t like adding sugar to anything unless I absolutely need to, since it only ends up around my mid-section! I like to think that sweet potatoes are sweet enough on their own. If you don’t like spicy, then go easy on the chipotlé.
This makes it into our regular rotation for sure!
Recipe adapted from bbcgoodfood.com
- 7 or 8 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 64 oz organic chicken broth, low sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotlé pepper, ground (this soup isn’t very spicy so adjust if you would like)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- smoked sea salt to taste
- Chevre: 1 tablespoon per person (easier to digest) or 1 tablespoon each of grated Gruyere cheese (lactose free) or one slice of nitrate free bacon crumbled over the top (Hannaford’s brand is nitrate free) or maple syrup candied toasted pecans
- Peel and chop the sweet potato and then roast in the oven at 425 degrees for about 30-40 min. It is done when you can stab a fork through it and remove it again easily (I like to make the potato the day before to save time on a work day).
- In a large soup pot, sauté the chopped yellow onion until browned lightly.
- Add 2 cloves of minced garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add chicken broth and then the roasted sweet potato.
- Add all of the spices except the sea salt.
- Run through your blender in batches until smooth and creamy and then return the soup to the pot.
- Taste and add the sea salt and adjust spiciness if you would like.
- Garnish and serve!
Tip This recipe should serve 8.