A delicious gluten free treat that’s high in protein and calcium and low in carbohydrates!
I just love looking through Eating Well Magazine! That was where I discovered this little gem!
Recipe adapted from eatingwell.com
- 1 3/4 cup blanched almond flour (Honeyville or Bob’s Red Mill brands)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (Redmond Real Salt)
- 4 eggs (separating whites and yolks)
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (Organic is gluten free)
1 tbsp raw honey, slightly heated to make it easier to pour over the top of each slice
garnish: with toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat oven at 375 and pull out your eggs to warm up.
- Start by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper and pouring your almond flour evenly into the bottom. Place in the preheated oven and toast your almond flour until golden before starting the recipe.
- Grease a 9″ pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add your dry ingredients and whisk together. Set aside.
- Grab your eggs and 2 small mixing bowls. Put your eggs whites in one and your egg yolks in the other one.
- First, you’ll blend your egg yolks, raw honey, vanilla extract and then your dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Now, blend your egg whites until they are foamy and they’ve just about doubled in size. Don’t allow them peak or your cake will sink in the middle when it cools. (It has happened to me!)
- Fold your egg whites into your batter bowl and mix together completely.
- Scrape into your greased pan.
- Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes or until golden.
- Toast up almond slivers for garnish. About 2 minutes in a preheated pan.
- Warm the raw honey some, but don’t overdo it, since you don’t want to destroy the nutrients.
- Garnish with the warm honey and almond slivers and enjoy!