A healthier take on tapioca pudding.
Packed with protein, omega 3 fatty acids, calcium, fiber, and at least a serving of fruit. This is a great breakfast, snack or even an elegant gourmet dessert.
This recipe comes together really quickly once you have soaked your cashews and infused your chia seeds with the vanilla bean.
You need to stir the chia seeds every few minutes for a total of about 15 minutes, to make sure that they don’t clump, then you just stick it in the fridge and it will be nice and cold and ready to serve in a few short hours.
Super simple recipe and really delicious! It has been a huge hit with guests time and time again!
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart’s Living Magazine.
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 2 pinches of ground vanilla bean (or scrape 1 vanilla bean pod)
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in enough filtered water to cover them (for at least 2 hours or overnight)
- 4 cups filtered water
- 7 medjool dates, pit removed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter (make sure coconut is the only ingredient for a healthy version)
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups of blueberries and raspberries
- maple syrup (a small drizzle)
Garnish with berries all over the top and pour a small amount of maple syrup along the edges of the bowl it is served in (works well served in a custard or ice cream dish).
- Soak cashews for at least 4 hours or even overnight to soften before blending.
- Pour 1/2 cup of chia seeds into a small bowl with 2 pinches of ground vanilla bean or else scrape from a pod. Mix well and cover to infuse with vanilla flavor, set aside with the cashews that are soaking.
- Drain the cashews of all of the water after 4 hours, this process makes them more digestible.
- Next, pour them into the blender with the water, dates, cinnamon, coconut butter, and vanilla.
- Blend until smooth and then pour into a large casserole sized bowl.
- Add the chia seeds and stir every few minutes, so that they don’t clump, for a total of 15 minutes. This will thicken to a pudding texture before you even chill it.
- Place in the fridge to chill for a few hours.
- Serve with berries and a little maple syrup for garnish.