A healthier take on Fish & Chips!
A couple of easy substitutions, and this classic meal becomes both delicious and gluten free.
Instead of flour, we’ll substitute either almond meal or brown rice flour. Both options are gluten free. I like to use brown rice flour since brown rice is one of the most nutritious foods ever studied and no egg necessary!
You won’t believe how much it tastes like it was deep fried but without all of the grease and excess breading! It is always a hit with guests!
- 1/3 cup almond meal flour (brown rice flour is delicious too)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (preferably Redmond Real Salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (smoked paprika could be used, white pepper for a chinese twist or cayenne for smoky flavor are all options)
- 1 pound white fish of choice (chicken strips work really well for this recipe as well!)
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or cold pressed coconut oil (both are safe used at high temperatures) in a pinch use cold pressed olive oil and try not to get the oil too hot.
- Combine all dry ingredients and whisk together to make your breading.
- Heat oil in a large non stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add fish, working in small batches if necessary, and cook until lightly browned and just opaque in the center, 3 to 4 minutes per side. (be careful, the almond meal can fall off easier then flour so be gentle with them)
- Serve immediately!
You can also use this same breading for chicken strips with great success! This recipe makes several servings worth of breading.